Saturday, October 30, 2010

This spring I plan on taking a semester off from school in order to backpack around Ireland. My hope is to "ruff" it as much as possible, hopefully making it to a new city every night. It should be a wonderful adventure leaving things like technology and ease behind for a large amount of time spent thinking, reflecting and writing.
One only needs to look at my apartment to see why I haven't ever gone on an adventure or done something meaningful. In the living room my roomates and I have two Tvs, one xbox360 and 80 channels of cable and In my room I currently have a computer and an Iphone.

This is where Irish Wanderings comes in. It is escaping from materialism and embracing all of you wonderful people and all of the wonderful places that I am missing while on facebook and netflix at 3 am in the morning. This blog and hopefully you the reader will become my closest companions on this adventure throughout the Emerald Isle as I travel and share with you the best and worst times. All of this I decided to do a week ago much to the chagrin of my mother and a few others, though by now I would think they would all be used to this sort of thing! Whatever explanation I might give for this journey it is more than anything a call into the wild and into the organic richness which just isn't conveyed through the context of a documentary or even a blog! For someone who is an idealist like me it is Edmond Dantes escaping from Chateu D'if, and it is also Frodo leaving the shire.

Until next time,

Jacob


2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just saw another blog entry today about being middle class... http://revolutionthroughchildhood.blogspot.com/2010/10/in-interest-of-transparency.html

    It will be wonderful seeing Ireland turn green in the spring! Any specific plans for travel? Where will you be staying? What is the means of travel? The planning is as fun as the journey, so post more, I want to know what's going on! I will be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be staying a lot in my tent but once a week I plan on treating myself to a hostel. I am sure after six days of sleeping on the ground and taking cold showers any Hostel I stay in will seem like a 5 star resort. I am going to use my feet as much as possible, though I suspect if I decide to go to England I will have to take a ferry, never was that great of a swimmer!

    ReplyDelete